Can a homeowner remove mold themselves?

Homeowners can remove mold on their own in many situations, however, before starting the process, they should test for mold to make sure they even have mold. Addressing mold problems before they escalate will make the remediation process significantly cheaper and easier to achieve. In some cases, it may be necessary to call an expert when it comes to removing mold in the home. Mold removal is only possible depending on the size and impact of the mold.

In most cases, you don't need to hire a licensed mold assessment contractor. Most people can identify and clean mold on their own. However, some people may choose to hire a New York State licensed mold counselor to help identify mold problems and their cause. They will often recommend a licensed mold remediation company to come and clean the mold properly if needed.

Verify that a company is licensed by the New York State Department of Labor to perform mold removal. I found mold in my house. Can I clean it myself or should I hire someone? Who should do the cleaning depends on several factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem.

If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (about 3 feet by 3 square feet), in most cases, you can do the work yourself by following the guidelines below. Sources “A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home U.S. Department of State of New York. With the possible effects of exposure to black mold, it is not worth taking the risk of managing the problem without the help of a professional.

This is why you're more likely to find mold in areas such as garages, basements, and windowless bathrooms. New York State Guidelines for Mold Remediation state that if the total area affected by mold is more than 10 square feet. A mold project is defined as the remediation of mold, the evaluation of mold, or the reduction of mold, of areas of more than ten (square feet) performed for the purpose of remedying or reducing mold. If a mold refresher course has not been completed within the appropriate timeframe (s), the applicant shall repeat the initial mold training course to apply for the license.

But before you do so, read on to learn the basics of mold cleaning and the proper ways and techniques to effectively remove it without compromising your health and safety. Wear protective clothing, such as gloves, hair covers and shoes, and an N-95 respiratory mask while cleaning mold and handling moldy materials. Always talk to your doctor about your health problems, as symptoms of exposure to mold could be due to other exposures and illnesses. Although this is not always the case, often when you see mold in your house, there is more mold that you can't see.

While many molds are harmless, harmful types indoors can cause shortness of breath, which manifests itself in symptoms including nasal congestion and wheezing. Mold sampling and testing can be more expensive than simply cleaning and repairing water problems that allow mold to grow. These molds are harmful to your family's health and, as you allow them to grow, they become increasingly difficult to clean. However, not removing contaminated materials and reducing moisture can present serious long-term health risks.

A common place where mold can appear on the outside of a house is the terrace, which can be cleaned with detergent or other light cleaning solution and a pressure washer. The Department will maintain a list of approved training providers and their respective websites on the Department of Labor's Mold Programme website. Rinse the coating first, spray a non-toxic mold remover, let it settle while the mold starts to dissolve, then rinse it. .

Chad Hobock
Chad Hobock

Devoted tea geek. Proud bacon enthusiast. Subtly charming twitter scholar. Infuriatingly humble internet advocate. Certified beer advocate.